The glass skin look can be achieved by following a strict skin care routine. Every step has its own benefit even though it may seem to be a hassle. In short, glass skin is translucent, even toned and radiant.
If you have problem skin, you can find my recommendation of The Best Korean Skin Care Products For Oily, Acne Prone Skin here. I have given separate recommendation links for each section to help you guys. Let me know if you have any questions.
Are you are looking for Natural DIY Recipes To Get Glass Skin?
I am still experimenting with new recipes. So please bare with me as it is challenging to create such a skin care routine even for myself. I would like to create recipes that would give results to problems like sun tan, dull and lifeless skin, uneven skin texture, open pores and pigmentation. A detailed post with these recipes with videos will be up soon.
The Korean glass skin care routine follows the below steps,
1. Double Cleansing Method
Cleansing is the first and most important step in achieving a glass skin. Cleansing removes dirt from pollution, makeup, sebum and dead skin cells leaving your skin ready for the next step. If this step is not done correctly, no matter how much you pamper your skin the results will not show. Even though it looks simple it is undoubtedly the most important step in getting the radiant glass skin.
- You use an oil, balm or micellar water according to your choice and skin type to remove makeup, sebum, pore bacteria and dead cells. You can use extra virgin coconut oil or olive oil to cleanse your skin too.
- Use a water based cleanser to deep purify the pores. Massage for a minute before washing it off.
Double cleansing by 4-2-4 Cleansing method
Start with an oil and massage gently for four minutes. Wipe off the oil with a cotton pad or a makeup wipe. Follow up with a cream cleanser to emulsify the oil. Keep massaging for another two minutes. Finally rinse for four minutes.
These techniques may seem tiring but, this method of cleansing is really famous for its benefits. Many South Asian celebrities swear by this method.
2. Exfoliate your skin twice a week
Regular exfoliation is a must in any skin care routine for a smooth and soft skin. Skipping exfoliation may leave your skin dull, rough and lead to acne flare ups.
Use a gentle scrub mask or cream to scrub off the dead skin cells. Leave it on for fifteen to twenty minutes and then wash it off.
- Use a Hydroxy acid face wash/Cleansers (Glycolic acid, Salicylic acid, Lactic acid) to speed up the exfoliation process. Glycolic acid products increase cell turn over thus reducing acne scarring, fine lines,wrinkles and discoloration.
- Over the course of time your skin texture improves greatly and reveals brighter even toned skin.
3. Apply Toner using ‘7 skin method’
After double cleansing your skin of any impurities, apply a hydrating toner. Pat the toner on your skin. Let it sit on your skin until it is soaked up and then proceed with the second layer. Repeat the process seven times to hydrate and plump up your skin.
- Always go for a non alcoholic toner when you are using the 7 skin method.
4. Use an Essence/Serum to get that glass skin
Also known as boosters or ampules, Essence or serum is a more concentrated formula that works on the cellular level. There are different types of essence that work on various skin problems dull skin, lines and wrinkles, skin brightener and fading marks and spots.
The consistency also varies, it is available in liquid and gel forms. There are spot treatment essence available too. Choose one that suits your skin requirements. Take a pump of product and pat on to the skin until it is absorbed.
This compilation does not include anti ageing serums. I will compose another post for anti ageing serum products alone and update it here.
The secret to Korean glass skin is to moisturise, moisturise and then add even more moisture to your skin. Doing so makes your skin look plump, healthy and radiant. Dry, patchy and rough skin never looks appealing.
Include a deep moisturiser with nourishing ingredients to repair the skin. Use a different moisturiser for your day time routine and night time routine. Using a light weight moisturiser may be appropriate for the day time as we can follow up with our makeup routine without feeling heavy.
- Use a night cream with peptides and retinols as both ingredients have anti ageing benefits. Such ingredients should not be used during the day as they are light sensitive.
12 Best Anti-Ageing Creams And Why You Should Start Using Them (For those above 25 years old)
Top Performing Retinol Night Creams (For those above 25)
If you prefer, Use a soothing and healing moisturiser on alternative days to repair your skin. Do not use products with harsh ingredients together or at the same time.
Using hydroxy acids and retinoids by itself have many skin care benefits like diminishing the appearance of lines and wrinkles, fading spots and scars and skin brightening. But, when used together, it becomes too potent for your skin to handle and may lead to irritation and redness. So include glycolic acid products in your morning routine and retinol creams in your night routine.
Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Choose a sunscreen with a spf factor of 30+++ or above. Reapply every 2-4 hours depending on the spf factor. An spf 30+++ sunscreen blocks the radiation for about 300 minutes after which you need to reapply. There are different types of sunblocks available like lotion, creams, gels and sprays for every skin type.
You can also use foundation with sunscreen and most of them have a higher spf ratings so you do not have to layer two products. There are many variations suitable for each skin type.
The below are some of the best cushion foundation with an impressive spf factor of 50+++.
- Maybelline New York Ultra Cover Cushion SPF50/PA+++
- Innisfree Long Wear Cushion SPF 50 Foundation PA++++
- MISSHA M Magic Cushion SPF50+/PA+++
- The Faceshop Cc Intense Cover Cushion SPF50+, PA+++
Best Cushion Foundation for Sensitive Skin and Acne Prone skin:
- Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free All-in-1 ABC Cushion Foundation
7. Sheet masks
Sheet masks are cotton face shaped single use masks dipped in a water based hydrating serum. This makes the ingredients palatable to your facial skin and helps bind moisture to your skin. Each face sheet mask is designed for different purposes like anti ageing and skin brightening being few of them.
How often should you use sheet masks?
Sheet masks can be used everyday. Twice a week is recommended for glowing skin. You can keep it on for up to twenty minutes but not more than that. You can apply the left over on your neck and hands.
If you are using it in the morning, it is okay to layer makeup products over it.
8. Face Masks
You may use face masks twice a week. Choose one depending upon suits your skin type and skin concern.
There are a million face masks that target different skin problems like acne, redness, irritated and inflamed skin, unclog pores.
Look for a face mask that has ingredients which in one way or the other provide the following benefits,
- Anti ageing And hydrating ingredients
- Skin Firming And Tightening
- Plump And Hydration Boost
- Pore Clearing Clay Masks
- Detox Masks
- Exfoliating Pumpkin/Papaya Extracts
- Skin Brightening
Ingredients To Look For
Green Tea, Tea Tree Oil, Clay, Vitamin C, Fruit Enzymes, Hydroxy acids(Glycolic acid or Salicylic acid), Aloe Vera, Oats, Calamine, Honey, Charcoal
9. Facial Massage
Massaging improves blood circulation and encourages lymphatic drainage. It helps tone and tighten the skin while also reducing any swelling or puffiness. It helps make your face look slimmer.
Doing a facial massage once a week(Recommended), once every 2 weeks can make a difference in your skin tone and texture.
You can keep the rollers in the refrigerator too.
After applying a serum or cream, Massage the skin for about 2-4 minutes.
You can simple massage with your fingers or with the help of devices like Massage rollers. Rolling the stones does help the creams get absorbed better.
Massage Rollers come in different types like, Good old Clarisonic massage rollers, Gua Sha, Platinum rollers, Jade rollers,Rose quartz or other Crystal rollers. There is certainly one for every budget.
You can find do it yourself by watching Korean/Japanese face massage Videos on YouTube. It is super easy.
- Sheet Mask
- Use a Jade roller now
- Makeup Routine
Night time routine
- Double Cleanse
- Tone (7 times)
- Sheet Mask (if your prefer using it at night)
- Night Cream
- Eye cream
- Use jade roller for 2-3 minutes
How long does it take to get glass skin?
It depends on your current skin condition and diet. If you have various skin problems like dullness, dry skin, scars or acne, it may take longer periods of time to heal and repair your skin.
If you follow a strict routine, you will start to see improvements in your skin in 30-45 days. But to achieve a complete glass skin look, three months might a short amount of time especially if you have skin problems.
- Even for normal skin, It may take six months to get the translucent glass skin. So be patient. Give it some time while following this skin care regimen religiously.
- Keep in mind that the cell turnover happens once in 28 days. It may take several such cycles to fade spots and pigmentation. As long as the damage is not in the deeper layers of the skin, the pigmentation, marks and spots will fade completely.
Follow a Healthy Diet, Manage Stress and Get Your Beauty Sleep
- Follow a healthy diet by including lots of vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from within.
- Include Omega 3 fatty acid sources like nuts and fish to your diet.
- Quit smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Practice meditation/yoga to manage stress. Stress affects the hormone balance of our body and negatively affect our overall health.
- Sleep well for eight hours as repair and regeneration of skin cells happen during our sleep.
Making all these small changes can benefit your skin in multiple ways. A perfect skin care is a balance between both external and internal healthy well being.
There is nothing known as too much moisture 🙂
In short, The radiant porcelain glass skin is achieved by providing moisturising your skin using various methods. Proper skin care routine and a healthy diet plus a stress free environment all influence your journey to flawless skin.