The glass skin look can be achieved by following a strict skin care routine. Every step has its own benefit even though it may seem to be a hassle. In short, glass skin is translucent, even toned and radiant.
The Korean glass skin care routine follows the below steps,
1.Double Cleansing Method:
Cleansing is the first and most important step in achieving a glass skin. Cleansing removes dirt from pollution, makeup, sebum and dead skin cells leaving your skin ready for the next step. If this step is not done correctly, no matter how much you pamper your skin the results will not show. Even though it looks simple it is undoubtedly the most important step in getting the radiant glass skin.
- You use an oil, balm or micellar water according to your choice and skin type to remove makeup, sebum, pore bacteria and dead cells. You can use extra virgin coconut oil or olive oil to cleanse your skin.
- Use a water based cleanser to deep purify the pores. Massage for a minute before washing it off.
Double cleansing by 4-2-4 Cleansing method :
Start with an oil and massage gently for four minutes. Wipe off the oil with a cotton pad or a makeup wipe. Follow up with a cream cleanser to emulsify the oil. Keep massaging for another two minutes. Finally rinse for four minutes.
These techniques may seem tiring but, this method of cleansing is really famous for its benefits. Many south asian celebrities swear by this method.
2. Exfoliate your skin twice a week:
Regular exfoliation is a must in any skin care routine for a smooth and soft skin. Skipping exfoliation may leave your skin dull, rough and lead to acne flare ups.
Use a gentle scrub mask or cream to scrub off the dead skin cells. Leave it on for fifteen to twenty minutes and then wash it off.
- Use a hydroxy acid face wash ( Glycolic acid face wash) to speed up the exfoliation process. Glycolic acid products increase cell turn over. Over the course of time your skin texture improves greatly and reveals brighter skin.
The best hydroxy acid cleansers to get glowing brighter skin.
3. Apply Toner using ‘7 skin method’:
After double cleansing your skin of any impurities, apply a hydrating toner. Pat the toner on your skin. Let it sit on your skin until it is soaked up and then proceed with the second layer. Repeat the process seven times to hydrate and plump up your skin.
- Always go for a non alcoholic toner when you are using the 7 skin method.
4. Use an Essence to get that glass skin:
Also known as boosters or ampules, Essence is a more concentrated formula that works on the cellular level. There are different types of essence that work on various skin problems dull skin, lines and wrinkles, skin brightener and fading marks and spots.
The consistency also varies, it is available in liquid and gel forms. There are spot treatment essence available too. Choose one that suits your skin requirements. Take a pump of product and pat on to the skin until it is absorbed.
The secret to Korean glass skin is to moisturize, moisturize and then add even more moisture to your skin. Doing so makes your skin look plump, healthy and radiant. Dry, patchy and rough skin never looks appealing.
Include a deep moisturizer with nourishing ingredients to repair the skin. Use a different moisturizer for your day time routine and night time routine. Using a light weight moisturizer may be appropriate for the day time as we can follow up with our makeup routine without feeling heavy.
- Use a night cream with peptides and retinols as both ingredients have anti aging benefits. Such ingredients should not be used during the day as they are light sensitive.
If you prefer, Use a soothing and healing moisturizer on alternative days to repair your skin. Do not use products with harsh ingredients together or at the same time.
Using hydroxy acids and retinoids by itself have many skin care benefits like diminishing the appearance of lines and wrinkles, fading spots and scars and skin brightening. But when used together it becomes too potent for your skin to handle and may lead to irritation and redness. So include glycolic acid products in your morning routine and retinol creams in your night routine.
Use a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Choose a sunscreen with a spf factor of 30+++ or above. Reapply every 2-4 hours depending on the spf factor. An spf 30+++ sunscreen blocks the radiation for about 300 minutes after which you need to reapply. There are different types of sunblocks available like lotion, creams, gels and sprays for every skin type.
You can also use foundation with sunscreen and most of them have a higher spf ratings so you do not have to layer two products. There are many variations suitable for each skin type. The below are some of the best cushion foundation with an impressive spf factor of 50+++.
- Missha M Magic Cushion Foundation
- MISSHA M Magic Cushion SPF50+/PA+++ NO. 23
- The Faceshop Cc Intense Cover Cushion SPF50+, PA+++ V203, 15g
Best Cushion Foundation for Sensitive Skin and Acne Prone skin:
7. Sheet masks:
Sheet masks are cotton face shaped single use masks dipped in a water based hydrating serum. This makes the ingredients palatable to your facial skin and helps bind moisture to your skin. Each face sheet mask is designed for different purposes like anti aging and skin brightening being few of them.
- Innisfree Anti aging sheet masks hydro-gel sheet mask to help improve skin’s resilience while brightening and firming its look.
- Innisfree skin solution sheet masks hydrate, firm, brighten or refine the look of the skin.
- It’s real squeeze sheet masks contain 18 naturally derived ingredients.
- Jeju Fermented Soybean and vitamin c sheet mask from innisfree provides concentrated moisture and naturally exfoliates for clearer, more smooth-looking skin.
How often should you use sheet masks?
Sheet masks can be used everyday. Twice a week is recommended for glowing skin. You can keep it on for up to twenty minutes but not more than that. You can apply the left over on your neck and hands.
If you are using it in the morning, it is okay to layer makeup products over it.
Morning routine to get glass skin:
- Sheet Mask
- Makeup Routine
Night time routine for a glass skin look:
- Double Cleanse
- Sheet Mask if your prefer using it at night
- Night Cream
- Eye cream
How long does it take to get glass skin?
It depends on your current skin condition and diet. If you have various skin problems like dullness, dry skin, scars or acne, it may take longer periods of time to heal and repair your skin.
If you follow a strict routine, you will start to see improvements in your skin in three months. But to achieve a complete glass skin look, three months is a short amount of time especially if you have skin problems.
- Even for normal skin, It may take six months to one year to get the translucent glass skin. So be patient. Give it some time while following this skin care regimen religiously.
- Keep in mind that the cell turnover happens once in 28 days. It may take several such cycles to fade spots and pigmentation. As long as the damage is not in the deeper layers of the skin, the pigmentation, marks and spots will fade completely.
Follow a Healthy Diet, Manage Stress and Sleep Well:
- Follow a healthy diet by including lots of vegetables and seasonal fruits.
- Drink plenty of water to hydrate your skin from within.
- Include Omega 3 fatty acid sources like nuts and fish to your diet.
- Quit smoking
- Maintain a healthy weight and BMR
- Practice meditation/yoga to manage stress. Stress affects the hormone balance of our body and negatively affect our overall health.
- Sleep well for eight hours as repair and regeneration of skin cells happen during our sleep.
Making all these small changes can benefit your skin in multiple ways. A perfect skin care is a balance between both external and internal healthy well being.
There is nothing known as too much moisture 🙂 In short, The radiant porcelain glass skin is achieved by providing moisturizing your skin using various methods. Proper skin care routine and a healthy diet plus a stress free environment all influence your journey to flawless skin.