I have been dealing with hair fall on and off for many years. These remedies that I have mentioned are based on my own experience. Hope it’s helpful to you too.
Although I had hair fall for such a long time, the external hair care routine that I followed remained the same throughout and it really helped with new hair growth. I have tried to note down everything that remembered, but if there’s anything I can help with feel free to ask me.
Warm oil massage for a healthy scalp
This helps stimulate the scalp, increases blood flow and to an extent helps with tension and stress especially when you get it done in a salon. It feels so good when someone else does the work and you can just close your eyes and relax. Only once have i done it in a salon though.
I have done Ayurvedic massage treatment which includes body and hair. They use specialised warm oil blend for this.
Instant Recipe for my long hair:
- Coconut oil two table spoon
- Castor oil one tsp
- Argan oil 10 drops
- Olive oil one tsp
You can mix any oil like Jojoba, lemongrass or Rosemary but keep the base the same as below.
Coconut Oil/Olive Oil+Castor Oil+ An essential oil you prefer.
I like argan oil hence i go with it. I actually bought Argan Oil to use as a heat protectant for my hair, But later came to know more about its benefits.
My Go-to Recipe:
- Coconut oil- half litre (Deep penetrating oil)
- Aloevera- 1 leaf (Natural conditioner, prevents itching and dandruff, promotes hair growth)
- Peppercorns- 3 ( Added to avoid catching a cold)
- Gooseberry- 10 (Prevents premature greying, strengthens hair follicles)
You can also add a handful of curry leaves to this.
Scoop out the fleshy part of the aloevera leaf. Blend it along with gooseberry and peppercorns. Mix it with coconut oil in a nonstick pan. Let it sit on medium flame, stir occasionally.
It takes around one hour to get to that greenish coloured oil. Everything else sets to the bottom. Let the oil cool, strain and then store it. Use the oil twice a week as part of your hot oil treatment.
- You can also use the aloevera leaf as a whole including the green part for this recipe.
Store Bought Oils:
I have used only two hair oils that did help me in the long run. They are,
Henna And Rosemary Oil for Hair fall , Dandruff And Hair Growth. Buy Now
Amla hair Oil for Hair Strengthening And Anti Greying. Buy Now
In my case, Hair fall was mainly due to multiple deficiencies so i just used these hair oils for my peace of mind. These hair oils can help stop hair fall if they are caused by external factors. I used to mix these two, warm it and apply. I personally liked these and are still my favourites.
I did not get a headache from applying these. I usually never apply oils over night as i am prone to catching a cold. One to four hour is plenty if the oil applied is warm.
Although the below oil blend was not available during my hair fall period, This hair oil is loved by many due to its benefits. Many people swear by it. From the ingredient list below you can surely guess why. Buy Now
This Hair Growth Oil has all the goodness of,
- Jojoba Oil – Strengthen Hair Fibres From the Inside Out.
- Argan Oil – Effectively Create a Tight Seal for Your Hair Cuticle.
- Sesame Oil – Prevent Hair Thinning and Foster Healthy Hair Luster and Full Texture.
- Grapeseed Oil – Provide Nourishment And Seal Moisture
- Rosemary Oil – Hair Nourishment and Hair Growth. Gives Shiner, Healthier Hair.
- Avocado Oil – Replenishes the Hair With Vitamins for Overall Hair Growth.
- Castor Oil – Recommended for Hair Strength and Prevent Hair Loss.
- Coconut Oil – Rich in Fatty Acids That Nourish and Moisturize the Scalp and Hair.
- Tea Tree Oil – Naturally Soothes Itchy Scalp and Prevents Many Hair Problems Such as Dandruff.
Use two bags of Green Tea and pour it over scalp. You can rinse this after 45 minutes. Green Tea is anti Oxidant rich which helps reduce hair fall.
You can also use henna pack but remember to do an oil treatment the next day to combat the dryness.
I also like to apply fresh aloevera juice on my scalp for 15 minutes before washing it off. You can keep the extracted juice in the refrigerator. This helped to reduce hair fall for one of my relatives. That is how i came to know about this remedy.
When i am using anti dandruff shampoo, I use aloevera juice after rinsing the shampoo to prevent dryness and itching. It helps although i do not keep it on for 15 minutes.
- Aloevera on the scalp + Conditioner on the strands. I wash both off after 3-5 minutes.
- I use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner when i am not using anti dandruff shampoo.
Most of the things that i have tried are organic and hence doesn’t have side effects.
The olive oil and egg mask works well in making your hair soft and shiny. I don’t use it now a days though. Washing it off is quite a hassle. My husband says that my head stinks. 🙁
I like using Biotique Musk Root hair pack with Egg or Curd. I generally go with curd. It makes my hair so soft and shiny. It’s better to use this once in two weeks.
I haven’t tried any chemical masks, shampoos and conditioners that come in the hair fall range So I cannot comment on that.
- We get chlorinated water here so if it’s the same with you then, you have to keep it overnight before using it.
- Use an Anti Dandruff Prescription Shampoo like Nizoral A- D or Scalpe twice a week.
Remember, Anti dandruff shampoo’s tend to dry out your scalp and hence may cause itching. Make sure to apply oil once a week for around 45 minutes. You can shampoo later.
Do not use anti dandruff shampoo’s everyday.
If you are sweating a lot or working out, Use a gentle cleansing shampoo to take out sweat and dirt. Keep your scalp clean.
If you are deficit in any of the below vitamins or minerals, It affects your hair growth and nails too.
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
1. Protein deficiency:
If you don’t get enough protein in your diet, your body may save protein by shutting down hair growth. women should get about 46 grams of protein per day, and men need about 56.
90 grams of Soy Chunks has 56 grams of protein and 19 milligrams of iron. If you are on a budget this may be an option for you.
Make sure your chicken is not injected with antibiotics and growth hormones. If not, Do not have chicken because it is not worth the risks.
- 120 gm chicken breast – 36 grams of protein; 184 calories
- Green peas-Foods in the legume family are good sources of vegetarian protein, and peas are no exception: One cup contains 7.9 grams—about the same as a cup of milk.
- Quinoa – it contains more than 8 grams per cup, including all nine essential amino acids that the body needs for growth and repair, but cannot produce on its own. (Because of that, it’s often referred to as a “perfect protein.
- Nuts – All nuts contain both healthy fats and protein, making them a valuable part of a plant-based diet. But because they are high in calories—almonds, cashews, and pistachios for example, all contain 160 calories and 5 or 6 grams of protein
- Beans – Two cups of kidney beans, for example, contain about 26 grams
- Chickpeas – They contain 7.3 grams of protein in just half a cup, and are also high in fiber and low in calories
contain about 15 and 20 grams per half cup, respectively. “They’re highly nutritious. It is available in mall supermarkets or from online big basket.
- Soy beans/ edamame-
which contains 8.4 grams of protein per half cup.Soy milk has the most protein, at 4 to 8 grams per 8 ounce.
- Leafy greens -Two cups of raw spinach, for example, contain 2.1 grams of protein, and one cup of chopped broccoli contains 8.1 grams.
- Greek yogurt -slightly higher in protein than its regular counterpart, but regular yogurt is actually a great source, too. Either way, it’s such an easy and portable source of protein, and it’s a great source of calcium.
- One cup of non-fat Greek yogurt-24 grams of protein; 128 calories
- Milk -Milk has nine essential nutrients, like calcium, potassium, and vitamin D. one glass contains 8 gms of protein.
- Egg- One large egg=six grams of protein, 71 calories
2. Female hormones:
Just as pregnancy hormone changes may cause hair fall, so can going off birth-control pills and switching from one birth control pill to another. It may cause telogen effluvium, and it may be more likely if you have a family history of hereditary hair loss.
The change in the hormonal balance that occurs at menopause may also have the same result.
Consult a Gynaecologist for appropriate treatment if you have irregular periods, severe cramps or even for advise on birth control pills.
The normal HB level for women is 11.5 – 16. In addition to hair loss, other symptoms of anaemia include fatigue, headache, dizziness, pale skin, and cold hands and feet.
- Taking iron supplements for 3 months will only increase your haemoglobin level up by .5, so don’t expect any changes after taking it for a couple of months. If your level is 10, it might not be 11.5 (the normal value) in a couple of months.
A simple iron supplement should correct this problem. Make sure you do not have absorption problems. A simple CBC blood test will tell you whether you are anaemic or not.
Hypothyroidism is the medical term for having an under active thyroid gland, that is not enough hormone production.The Thyroid gland in your neck produces hormones that are critical for your metabolism as well as growth and development and, when there is not enough hormones, can contribute to hair loss.
Your doctor can do tests to determine the real cause.Once your thyroid levels return to normal, so should your hair.
5. Vitamin B deficiency:
Include whole grains, Milk and Cheese, Eggs, Beans and Lentils, dark leafy veggies and Fruits like bananas, avocado and anything under the citrus category.
Cauliflower and avacado have Biotin vitamin B7 in it.
Sweet Potatoes and Mushrooms have Vitamin B5
Spinach has Vitamin B6
Peas, Sweet potatoes and corn has Vitamin B3
Mushroom and broccoli has Vitamin B2
Spinach, lettuce and beans has B1 in it.
6. Polycystic ovary syndrome:
Poly cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is caused by an imbalance in male and female sex hormones. An excess of androgen’s can lead to ovarian cysts, weight gain, hair thinning, diabetes, changes in your menstrual period and infertility.
Male hormones are over represented in PCOS, so women may also experience more hair on the face and body. Treating PCOS can correct the hormone imbalance and help reverse these changes.
- The common treatments include diet, exercise, and potentially birth control pills, as well as specific treatment to address infertility or diabetes risk.
As with hair loss due to physical stress, this hair fall will eventually stop. Stress doesn’t directly cause hair fall but aggravates a problem that’s already there. While it’s not known if reducing stress can help your hair, it can’t hurt either.
Take steps to combat stress and anxiety, like getting more exercise, trying talk therapy, or getting more support if you need it.
My brother uses music to reduce stress while my husband swears by ASMR meditation. Free Meditation Videos are available on YouTube.
I use workouts and yoga to deal with stress. Sitting still and meditating doesn’t go well with me as i get irritated and restless. 🙂
The other reasons for hair fall include,
- Auto immune disorder where our body sees hair follicles as foreign objects and attacks.
- Steroids that are used to bulk muscle
- Pregnancy that obviously includes hormone changes
- Ageing or premature ageing.
With proper care hair fall can be dealt with. If I have to say, it takes 6 months to stop hairfall. You won’t see much difference in the first three months. I was disappointed myself. But don’t give up.
Vitamin And Mineral Tablets Especially For Hair Fall:
These are tablets that doctors prescribed, both of these are Vitamin and mineral based with amino acids and fatty acids. They were prescribed to my mom too.
1. Keraglo tablet
2. Hairbless tablet
- If your family has hereditary balding consult a doctor for precautions. You need special treatment designed for such cases.
- Make changes in your diet, eat more protein
- Take Vitamin tablets if you are deficient especially Vitamin B,D and iron
- Include some form of exercise to boost blood circulation
- Do an warm oil treatment and massage your scalp
- Keep yourself hydrated
- Stop drinking, Smoking And reduce caffeine intake
- Reduce stress elements and find peace within your mind
- Use an Anti dandruff Shampoo to deal with dandruff
- Reduce styling your hair and applying heat.
- Consult a doctor if nothing works
A general physician or a gynaecologist may be able to help you pin point the exact cause of your hair fall.
My diagnosis went like below:
- Anaemic due to Vitamin B12 deficiency, although i was taking iron supplements they weren’t being absorbed into the body. I did not know Vitamin B interferes with absorption.
Vitamin D deficiency, again vitamin D helps with absorption too.
I was on supplements for 6 months. I increased protein intake too.
Always be consistent with the routine for 3 months minimum. It takes that long to start showing even a slight difference if you are dealing with hair loss due to vitamin deficiency.
I understand that It is easy for people to fall into depression due to hair fall problems.
I hope this article will help you in some way, changes in the diet, providing supplements and medication if necessary and moderate exercise will help in the long run. Keep at it for as long as your doctor recommends. Ohh, sleep well and stay stress free.
In this article, I haven’t discussed external issues and other scalp infections which are easily diagnosed by naked eye and can be treated with shampoos and serums.