Strengthen hair naturally is easier said that done. But you can make your hair stronger by taking a few changes. Okay, Maybe a lot of changes. Let us see what affects your hair.
What Vitamins And Minerals Does Hair Need?
Protein, Omega 3 Fatty Acids Vitamin A, Vitamin C, And Vitamin E and Minerals Like Zinc, Copper and iron
Having a well balanced diet is the most important step to strengthen your hair naturally. 🙂
What Should We Eat For Our hair?
Include Beans, Legumes, Nuts, Whole grains in your diet.
If you are a non vegetarian, try to include fish and high protein meat like chicken breast in your meal plan.
Try To Include The Following In Your Daily Diet,
- Whole Eggs
Protein is an essential building block our body. Women need 46 grams of protein while men need 56 grams of protein a day.
- Leafy Vegetables
Include dark leafy vegetables like Spinach to supply iron to your body. A deficiency of iron leads to hair loss and various other health issues because it affects the transportation of oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles.
- Citrus Fruits
Vitamin C helps with better absorption. Without Vitamin C, Iron will not get absorbed effectively.
Nuts are rich in Omega-3 fatty Acids which promote hair thickening and overall health.
- Whole Grains
Whole grains contain Amino Acids, Iron, Zinc, Biotin and other B Vitamins.
The Vitamin A present in carrots helps in balancing the sebum production which leads to a healthy scalp. Including carrots in your diet promotes hair growth
- Multi Vitamin Tablet 🙂
You may choose a multivitamin that is specifically designed for your Skin, Hair And Nails Like,
- Kera Glo, has Gamma lenolenic Acid, Multi Vitamins And Multi Minerals.
- Hair Bless Multivitamin Tablet
Check with your doctor for advise on multi vitamin tablets before starting the course. You may have to take the tablet for three months to see results or as long as your doctor advises.
Although this article is about how to strengthen hair naturally, you may need some help before switching to a complete natural hair care.
What are the Main Causes Of Hair fall And Hair Thinning?
- Lack Of proper Nutrition
- Hair Colours
- Over Styling And Extreme Heat Styling
- Hair Care Products
- Hot Water Rinse
- Over Washing
- Hormone Imbalances
- Chronic Dehydration
- Tight Hairstyles
How To Stop Hair fall?
Stopping hair fall is difficult because of the countless reasons that affect hair fall. If you have severe hair fall or baldness that runs in the family, Consult a doctor for better judgement. In order to strengthen your hair naturally, first of all you need to find the cause of hair fall if you are having any.
1. Treat Dandruff And Other scalp Issues
You can use Warm Oil Massage And Home made Natural hair masks to get rid of dandruff. You can find more about it below. But if you do not time for a home made pack, Go for anti dandruff shampoo’s.
Use an Anti dandruff shampoo like Scalpe or Nizoral twice a week to treat dandruff.
Anti dandruff Shampoos usually have Ketoconazole as its main ingredient which helps against fungal infections. You may use any brand of anti dandruff shampoo that has this ingredient.
Cipla Specially Formulated To Control The Itching And Flaking Of Serious Dandruff And Seborrheic Dermatitis Of The Scalp.
It Works In Two Ways;
- By Reducing The Greasiness Of The Scalp Which Effectively Controls Itchy And Scaly Dandruff
- By Slowing Down Growth Of The Layer Of The Skin Cells On The Scalp That Cause Dandruff.
While using Anti Dandruff Shampoo, Moisturise your scalp to prevent over drying and prevent itching .
You can apply raw Aloe Vera gel on your scalp for moisturising purposes. It works well to moisturise add shine, reduce dandruff and repair dead cells. 🙂
Click Here to read on how to make aloe gel at home.
2. Warm Oil Treatment
Use one or a combination of oils for this treatment.
Coconut oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Argan Oil or Sesame oil. Add few drops of Castor Oil to your favourite base oil to get thicker hair. Castor oil reduces dandruff, treats an itchy scalp and promotes hair growth.
You can add few drops of essential oils like, Peppermint, Chamomile, Rosemary too.
Applying warm oils to your scalp and massaging is good for increasing blood supply. It also nourishes the scalp and ensures that oxygen and micro nutrients reach the scalp.
You may also use store bought oils from a brand you trust.
- Hair growth Oil With With Argan, Jojoba, Almond, Castor, Olive, Avocado, Rosemary, Buy Now
3. Apply Hair Mask Once A Week
These hair masks help get rid of dandruff and promote hair growth. Keep these for 45 minutes and rinse.
The best hair masks are,
- Whole Egg+Olive Oil Mask Blended Together
- 4 Tablespoon Fenugreek seeds Soaked + 1/2 Lemon Juice Blended Together
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse (Use after shampoo and wash after 4 minutes)
- Raw Aloe Vera Gel
- Paste of One Big Onion
If you do not have time for messy hair masks, Stick to applying a simple Egg or Curd mask once a week.
Add lemon only if you have dandruff or scalp itching else you are free to skip it.
- Rice water For Hair Growth
You can take one table spoon of rice and leave it in a glass of water for around 24 hours. Strain the fermented liquid and remember to dilute it before applying it on your hair. Many people swear by this method.
You can also heat the rice with water mixture for about 5 minutes till it starts to heat up. This makes sure that most of the nutrients are in the water now. The colour might appear cloudy and that is okay. Once cooled, Strain the water and it is ready to use. Again, dilute it before use.
What Are My Favourite Hair Masks?
Egg+Olive Oil is my all time favourite.
I use this with A store bought hair pack. I have written a detailed article here, Fresh Growth Nourishing Hair Pack
When i was young, My grandma used to apply fenugreek seed paste on my hair. It cools your head, Softens and adds shine to your hair.
I have personally used all of these hair masks at different point of time. 🙂
4. Dietary Changes
Make sure to have a balanced diet. Try to include foods that are beneficial to the hair as well as body as i mentioned above.
5. Take Proper Care While Styling And Blow Drying
Many of us are not blessed with silky straight hair. So we use hair straighteners to get that look. Make sure your use a heat protectant on your hair before you start straightening. Applying high temperatures can damage your hair.
- TRESseme Thermal Creations Heat Protectant Spray, Buy Now
- L’Oreal Paris Hairstyle Sleek It Iron Straight Heat Spray , Buy Now
You can use Argan Oil as a Heat Protectant. Argan Oil can protect your hair up to 450 degree temperature.
- Certified Organic Cold Pressed Moroccan Argan Oil, Buy Now
6. Detangle Your Hair Properly To Reduce Frizz And damage
- BE GENTLE, Do not pull out your hair 🙂
- Divide your hair into sections and start detangling
- If there is too much of frizz and knots, Use a drop of oil or hair serum, spread it with both hands and start to detangle with your fingers first.
- Use a wide toothed comb to detangle
- Always start from the ends of your hair and work your way up.
7. Choose A Hair Straightener Properly
Choose round edge hair straighteners, Better if it has temperature control.
Titanium Plate straighteners are more suitable for extremely curly and thick hair. They heat so quickly and evenly. These are pricier.
Ceramic Plates which are budget friendly and they work on most hair types. Although the ceramic coating in the “Ceramic Coated” plates may wear off. You should not use it if the coating wears off as it leads to uneven heating and may cause damage to your hair
Tourmaline Plates create negative ions and hence help in reducing frizz. Such Plates are great for damaged hair.
- Philips Ceramic Plates Hair Straightener, Buy Now
8. While Using A Hair Dryer
Use a hair dryer at the right distance and temperature. This can reduce the damage done to your hair. Too hot and Too Close method of hair drying will cause flash drying where, all the moisture is dried up even the moisture within the hair. Flash drying results in dry, brittle and damaged hair.
Use a heat protectant spray or a leave in conditioner to your damp hair before using a hair dryer.
Make sure the heat protectant product has glycerin or propylene glycol, as these prevents water from getting evaporated completely.
9. Consult A Doctor To Run Blood Tests
Self treatments do not help in case of the below cases so seek help.
- Thyroid issues
- Hormone Imbalances
- Auto Immune Disorder
10. Manage Stress
You can try yoga, meditation, music for relaxation. Discussing your problems with someone close may also help lessen the burden. What ever method you choose, make sure you find a way to manage stress.
Stress makes your hormones go crazy and it has an effect not only on your hair but your overall health and immunity.
Are you happy and at peace?
This answer can tell you a lot about your life. Make changes accordingly.
Do Not Live To Work, Work To Live 🙂
Sleep Well for 8 hours. This is important for your body to repair and function properly.
How To Strengthen Hair Naturally?
- Maintain A Balanced Diet
- Drink Plenty Of Water
- Warm Oil Treatment Once a Week To Moisturise
- Use Hair Treatment Packs Twice a Month
- Do Not Rub Your Wet Hair Vigorously.
- Include A Multivitamin Tablet in Your Morning Diet
- Always Use Heat Protectant Before Blow Drying And Styling
- Choose Your Hair Product After Inspecting The Ingredients
- Use A Conditioner That Suits Your Hair
- Do Not Brush Wet Hair
- Do Not Keep brushing Your hair all the time
- Rinse Your Hair With Cool Water
- Trim Ends Regularly
- Sleep On A Soft Silk or Satin Pillow Case
- Reduce Heat Styling
- Brush Your Hair To spread natural oils on your scalp to your hair. Better to do this before going to bed.
- Try Air Drying Your Hair
- Stop Playing With Your Hair
- Protect Your Hair During Those Harsh Weather Conditions
- Use A Suitable Hair Brush
A well balanced diet and a proper hair care routine will strengthen your hair naturally over a period of time.